|COL. SHAWN A. CLOUTHIER|
Col. Shawn A. Clouthier is the Commander of the 109th Airlift Wing, Stratton Air National Guard Base, N.Y., as of May 6, 2012. As Commander, he is responsible to the Governor of New York for the only LC-130 Airlift Wing in the world.
The 109th AW is one of five flying units of the New York Air National Guard that provides worldwide airlift support for operations as directed by the Air Mobility Command and the Air National Guard. It has the only ski-equipped C-130 aircraft in the Air Force and is the sole provider of heavy airlift in support of military and National Science Foundation directed operations in the Arctic and Antarctica Polar Regions.
Colonel Clouthier was born in 1961 at Travis Air Force Base Medical Center, Calif. He graduated from Fort Plain High School, Fort Plain, N.Y. in 1979, and earned his Associate of Applied Science degree as a Paralegal Assistant through Herkimer County Community College, Herkimer, N.Y., graduating in 1981. He went on to earn his Bachelor's Degree in General Studies at the State University of N.Y., Regents College in 1993. His military education includes Squadron Officer School and Air War College.
Colonel Clouthier earned his commission through the Academy of Military Science at McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn., in 1982. He attended Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB, Calif., in 1982. Upon graduation from UNT, he was assigned to the 139th Tactical Airlift Squadron at Stratton ANGB, Scotia, N.Y., where he became an LC-130 navigator. He remained a traditional guardsman while working fulltime as an accounts payable supervisor for the New York State Senate. Colonel Clouthier was upgraded to an instructor navigator in 1999 and evaluator navigator in 2000. After working 13 years in the New York State Senate, he became a fulltime member of the 109th Airlift Wing as a U.S. Antarctic Program AGR. He became a federal technician at the 109th in 1999. He graduated from Maintenance Officer School at Sheppard AFB, Texas, in 2007. He became the Maintenance Squadron Commander in May of 2009 and officially assumed the position of Deputy Maintenance Group Commander on July 17, 2009. Two years later, Colonel Clouthier became the 109th Maintenance Group Commander. Only a few months later, in August of 2011, he assumed the position of 109th Operations Group Commander.
1981 Associate of Applied Science Degree in paralegal assistant, Herkimer County Community College, Herkimer, N.Y.
1988 Squadron Officer School
1993 Bachelor's degree in general studies, State University of New York-Regents College
2007 Air War College
1. 1982, Student, Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2. 1982, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
3. August 1983 - October 1986, LC-130 navigator, 139th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
4. November 1986 - August 1992, Weapons and Tactics Officer, 139th TAS, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
5. September 1992 - February 1993, Weapons and Tactics Officer, 109th Airlift Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
6. March 1993 - May 1993, Plans Officer, 109th Airlift Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
7. June 1993 - August 1999, Navigator, 139th Airlift Squadron, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
8. September 1999 - June 2012, Navigator Instructor, 139th Airlift Squadron, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
9. February 2000 - April 2000, Current Ops Officer, 109th Operations Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
10. May 2000 - June 2012, Evaluator Navigator, 109th Operations Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
11. May 2004 - April 2009, Chief of Current Operations, 109th Operations Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
12. May 2009 - July 2009, Commander, 109th Maintenance Squadron, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
13. July 2009 - April 2011, Deputy Commander, 109th Maintenance Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
14. May 2011 - July 2011, Commander, 109th Maintenance Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
15. August 2011 - April 2012, Commander, 109th Operations Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
16. May 2012 - present, Commander, 109th Airlift Wing, Stratton ANGB, N.Y.
Rating: Command Navigator
Flight hours: More than 6,800 hours
Aircraft flown: LC-130H, C-130H, C-130D, C-130E
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one device
Air Medal with four devices
Aerial Achievement Medal with two devices
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four devices
Combat Readiness Medal with six devices
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Antarctica Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour
Air Force Longevity Service with three devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
(NYS) Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
(NYS) New York Long and Faithful Service Award with three devices
(NYS) Defense of Liberty Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Military Officers Association of America
National Guard Association of the United States
Militia Association of New York
Air Force Association
Schenectady Chamber of Commerce
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 24, 1982
First Lieutenant June 24, 1985
Captain Dec. 3, 1988
Major June 24, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel June 24, 2003
Colonel June 16, 2011
(Current as of March 2013)