Brig. Gen. Denise M. Donnell serves as the Assistant Adjutant General and as the Commander, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y. She is the primary advisor on all Air Guard matters to The Adjutant General. In this role, General Donnell is responsible for establishing policy and monitoring operations of more than 5,800 people assigned to five flying units and four geographically separated support units.
Brigadier General Donnell graduated from Georgetown University in 1993 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Foreign Service and earned her commission through the Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program.
After nine years as a naval aviator, she joined the New York Air National Guard at Stewart Air National Guard Base, Newburgh, N.Y. in 2002. She has command experience at the Squadron, Group, and Wing levels. As Commander, 109th Maintenance Group, she oversaw utilization of the nation’s only ski-equipped aircraft in support of the National Science Foundation
and was Commander of the 13th Air Expeditionary Group, McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Brigadier General Donnell is a Command Pilot with over 4,400 flight hours. Prior to her current position, the General was Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
1993 Bachelor of Science Degree in Foreign Service, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. 2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence 2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Joint and Combined Warfighting School-Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.,by hybrid delivery
2018 National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2020 Master of Science Degree in Government Information Leadership, National Defense University, Fort McNair Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC), Arlington, VA
- June 1993 - October 1995, Student, Naval Flight Training, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas
- October 1995 - August 1996, P-3 upgrade training, Patrol Squadron 30, NAS Jacksonville, Fla.
- September 1996 - April 1997, Aviation Ordnance Branch Officer, Patrol Squadron 46, NAS Whidbey Island, Wash.
- April 1997 - January 2000, P-3 NATOPS Evaluator Pilot, Mission Commander, Quality Assurance Officer, Patrol Squadron 46, NAS Whidbey Island, Wash.
- February 2000 - October 2002, P-3 NATOPS Evaluator Pilot, Operational Test Director, Air Test and Evaluation, Squadron 1, NAS Patuxent River, Md.
- October 2002 - November 2002, Individual Ready Reserve, Navy Personnel Command, Millington, Tenn.
- November 2002 - May 2004, C-5 Pilot, 137th Airlift Squadron, New York Air National Guard, Stewart Air National Guard Base, Newburgh, N.Y.
- May 2004 - September 2005, C-5 Aircraft Commander, 137th Airlift Squadron, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
- October 2005 - September 2009, Commander, 105th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
- September 2009 - February 2013, Commander, 105th Maintenance Squadron, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
- February 2013 - June 2016, Commander, 109th Maintenance Group, NY ANG, Stratton ANGB, Scotia, N.Y. (December 2014 – January 2015, Commander, 13th Air Expeditionary Group, McMurdo Station, Antarctica)
- June 2016 - August 2017, Vice Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
- August 2017 – April 2022, Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh,
- April 2022 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General, New York Air National Guard, Latham, N.Y.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,100
Aircraft flown: C-5A, C-17A, C-130, LC-130, P-3C, T-34, and T-44
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal Navy Commendation Medal
Navy Achievement Medal with gold star Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation Antarctica Service Medal
Armed Force Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with bronze star
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' devices and hour glass Navy Expert Pistol Shot Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain June 1, 1997
Major July 10, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 15, 2008
Colonel May 23, 2013
Brigadier General Dec. 31, 2020
(Current as of April 2022)