Questions - Topics

Collapse All Expand All
 Aerial Support, Including Flyovers

How do I request Air Force aviation support for my event?

All requests for Air Force aviation support--flyovers, aerial reviews, aerial demonstrations, Thunderbirds--should be submitted on the Air Force aerial events web site. The site includes guidance on how to submit a request, how to contact an Air Force unit, and appropriate forms. Events are normally supported on a voluntary basis and must not impact mission capabilities. 

The 109th Airlift Wing has C-130 and LC-130 (Skibirds) that can be requested through this site.

The Department of Defense authorizes the Air Force to participate in flyovers for those recognition events held in direct support of the five patriotic holidays (Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, POW/MIA Day and Veterans Day) and for aviation-related events, such as air shows and airport dedications. All non-aviation related events are processed as Exceptions-to-Policy and they cannot show preferential treatment to any single organization to include specific charities, or must be incidental to the non-aviation related event. Non-aviation requests may include sporting and other community-wide events but there must be a military connection on the ground during the time of the flyover and it must aide the Air Force in meeting our messaging and recruiting needs.
 Base Tours

How can I request a tour of the 109th Airlift Wing?

The 109th is open to base tours from April 1st to September 3oth, Tuesdays through Thursdays.  Each group must have a minimum of 10 people.  Groups with more than 30 people will be split into subgroups. 

Contact the Public Affairs Office at 518-344-2021 or by email at:

What are my benefits as an Air National Guardsman?

For information on the benefits of being an Air National Guardsman, visit the Air Reserve Personnel Center website.
 Color/Honor Guards

How do I request an Air Force color/honor guard?

To request an Air Force color/honor guard from the 109th Airlift Wing, complete the DD 2536 and mail it to 1 Air National Guard Rd, Scotia NY 12302. Scanned copies can be e-mailed to:

Funeral honors take precendence over all other types of requests, so they cannot be 100% confirmed, as funeral honors often happen with short notice.

For information about the USAF Honor Guard visit the Air Force honor guard website.
 Contracting with the Air National Guard

I would like to sell a product/service to the Air National Guard?

Under the Federal Acquisition Regulations, any contracting opportunities/projects the National Guard undertakes are solicited via normal contracting procedures, including approval from the Acquisition Planning Board. 

Tto find out about contracting opportunities with the National Guard, log on to the Commerce Business Daily website. All solicitations on behalf of the Guard can be found on that site.
 Driving Directions

How do I get to Stratton Air National Guard Base?

Our address is 1 Air National Guard Rd, Scotia NY 12302.  At the intersection of Maple Avenue and Air National Guard Rd you should be able to see our sign as well as a static display of an LC-130 aircraft.

From the North:  From the Saratoga Region, head south down Rt 50.  Go past the town of Burnt Hills.  Just past Fogg's Automotive, take a left onto Hetcheltown Rd.  Stay on this road and it will change into Maple Avenue.  Follow for 3.1 miles.  Air National Guard Rd will be on the right hand side. 

From I-90 Eastbound:  Take exit 25 off of I-90 and merge onto I-890 W toward NY-7/​NY-146/​Schenectady.  Go 5.1 mi and take exit 4C toward NY-5/​Scotia.  Merge onto Washington Ave.  Go .2 mi and turn right onto State St.  Go 3 mi and take the 3rd left onto Erie Blvd.  Go 1.8 miles and turn right onto Maple Ave.  Go 1.3 miles and turn left onto Air National Guard Rd.  

From I-87:  Take exit 8A, Grooms Rd, heading west.  Go 5.1 mi and continue by staying right onto ​Riverview Rd. Continue to follow Riverview Rd for 1.7 mi.  At the intersection of Rt 146 and Riverview Rd you will see a Stewarts Shop on the Rt corner.  Continue straight onto Alplaus Ave and follow for .7 mi.  Turn left onto Maple Ave.  Follow for .7 miles and take the 1st right onto Air National Guard Rd.
 General Information

How can I contact military personnel?

The Air Force World Wide Locator offered by the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD). All other requests are considered unofficial in nature. 

The Air Force World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the U.S. Air Force (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired and Civil Service Personnel). If the individual has separated from the Air Force, no information is available. To obtain or find out more information about the service, you can contact AFPC at: 

550 C Street West Suite 50 
Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752 

Commercial: (210) 565-2660 
Military to Military: DSN 665-2660 

Customer Service Hours: 
Monday - Friday (except Federal Holidays) 
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Central Standard Time) 


If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, call your local Red Cross chapter -- go to the Red Cross website and enter your zip code on the home page.


I have questions about the Air National Guard or the National Guard Bureau. How do I get answers?

National Guard Almanac (34th Ed, 2008), Copies can be purchased for $12.00 + $3.50 shipping. Contact: UNIFORMED SERVICES ALMANAC, INC., P.O. Box 4144, Falls Church, VA 22044. Phone: 703-532-1631.
 Military Records

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the U.S. Government. 

An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number or present address. 

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is: 

National Personnel Records Center 
9700 Page Blvd 
St. Louis MO 63132 
Phone: 314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272 (1-86-NARA-NARA) 
For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is: 

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) 
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue 
Washington, DC 20408 

How do I meet with an Air National Guard Recruiter?

To meet with a recruiter from the 109th Airlift Wing, contact the 109th recruiting office at 518-344-2200.  


 What are some of the benefits of joining the Air National Guard?

In addition to job an skills training in dozens of career fields, joining the Air National Guard offers the following benefits:


  • Over $600 per month for college, depending on job choice

  • Student loan repayment

  • College accredited technical training

  • Free retirement program

  • Programs that offer college credits for passing examinations

  • Free travel on military aircraft throughout the United States, Alaska, Puerto Rico & the Virgin Islands

  • Reliable part-time income

  • Discount shopping privileges in military department stores & supermarkets

  • Enrollment in a free 2-year college degree program

  • N.Y. State Tuition Assistance Program, an opportunity to attend state college at no cost

  • Up to $400,000 in life insurance at low cost

  • Participation in the post 9-11 GI Bill after 90+ days of active duty service. 


 Speaker Requests

How can I request a speaker for my organization?

The Air Force accepts requests for speakers from the general public.

1. If you are looking for a generic Air Force speaker or don't know where to ask, please visit the Air Force's Outreach website.

2. If you are looking for a generic speaker from the 109th Airlift Wing, contact the Public Affairs Office at (518) 344-2423 or email:

  The 109th Airlift Wing can speak about the mission of the unit, to include details about Greenland and Antarctica, state disaster relief efforts, as well as general military and leadership concepts.
 Supporting Deployed Airmen

How can I support the Airmen who are deployed?

Thank you for showing interest in supporting our Airmen deployed abroad. Due to operational security concerns, we cannot give you direct mailing addresses to our deployed Airmen.

If you are interested in providing support to a military family, please contact our Airman and Family Programs Director, 
Colleen Casey.  
(518) 344-2036  
She will be able to direct you or your organizations efforts.

Also, many organizations such as the USO ( or America Supports You ( manage several established programs in which the public can support our military members. Thank you for thinking of our deployed men and women.